Change in Web Server

October 14th, 2002 • 1 min read

There was a change in the web server that inadvertantly affected my installation of Movable Type. I noticed it way back on Thursday, but Wendy was coming in and I didn't have the time or desire to fix it all up until she was gone today.

I'm messing around with things.

<strike>Don't post comments until I say it's ok.. because I think they'll be lost.</strike>

Let me know if anything else weird happens.

Addendum: 10.14.02 20:48 - Woo-hoo! Looks like you can go ahead and comment away... everything's back to normal, perhaps...

Begin Techno-babble

In case you were wondering, my hosting company changed up servers on me and monkied around with the permissions on my database directory. I like this hosting company because they're cheap, they let you do .jsp, .asp, and php/cgi stuff pretty easily, and they have a pretty responsive technical support staff.

I don't like that there is no shell access to your account (in fact, it's clear they are using a Windows server of some sort), so it's not trivial to change permissions... their solution is to use a extremely bad web interface to change permissions on files. I don't know, but I think I may have just given the world permission to change my blog around.

Sigh.

So if you see inexplicable graffitti and I'm a "l00z3r" postings... I've probably been hacked.

Ah-well... I should be so lucky...

End Techno-babble

Get my weekly newsletter about Soulful Computing

(First episode drops on August 13, 2020)

Keep up with weekly resources about our rapidly evolving cyborganic relationship with technology. Topics include humanity inside computers, technology culture, digital artifacts, and augmented productivity for 21st century knowledge work.

Stay Connected

I won't ever give away your email address. You can always unsubscribe. No hard feelings.