I’ll be speaking on April 2, 2004 in two panels at the cool tools for change workshop put on by the good folks in Dr. Gary Chapman’s community informatics class at the LBJ school for public affairs at the university of texas at austin; they also maintain a cool blog.
Closing Panel Session
- Professor Gary Chapman: Director, 21st Century Project, LBJ School of Public Affairs, The University of Texas
- Jackie Goodman: Mayor Pro Tem, City of Austin
- David Nunez: Cluster Director, IT & Future Media, Capital Area Training Foundation
- Representative Glen Maxey: Consultant, Glen Maxey Consulting
- Professor Lodis Rhodes: Professor, LBJ School of Public Affairs, The University of Texas
- Charlie Scott: Interim President, Austin Free-Net / Board of Directors, Austin Free-Net
"Our closing panel will reflect on the future of public access and discuss how our roles now, as members of the Austin community and as part of the world community, will enhance future grassroots participation. The panel will feature distinguished Austin community leaders who will take part in a Q & A discussion about their experiences with and visions for public technology."
I’m really excited about this workshop. I’ll probably be wearing my EFF-Austin cap more so than my CATF cap. This is a great step in the right direction for helping spread some of the more cutting edge, yet very accesible technology to non-profits and community builders.
<font>Links to resources:
The bottom line:
Participants are not passive recipients of technology, but active producers of content and tools.
My Suggested Three Steps to TRUE Internet Participation:
- Become a User by playing with technology and making incremental changes in the way you communicate and work.
- First step’s always the hardest: Call me (512.796.9545) or email me (email@example.com) if you’re stuck.
Internet and Young People
Public and Open Access to the Internet
- What motivates open source artists 1? http://kieranhealy.org/blog/archives/2003/06/19/open-source/
- What motivates open source artists 2? http://opennessandtransparency.net/icse2002/HannRobertsSlaughterFielding.pdf (.pdf download)
Digital Divide / Inequality in Access
Updated 4/2/2004 – added links to resources
David Nuñez Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.